Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Carnton Plantation

There's this little place in Franklin that has stolen my heart. 


Carnton Plantation


It's amazing. 
See the blue ceiling?? LOVE.


Isn't it dreamy?


Lots of brick and chippy paint...


Nooks in the brick with little surprises...


Beautiful old trees...


 An A.MA.ZING garden to walk through. 


Like I said... dreamy.







The history of Carnton is amazing. The home was turned into a make-shift hospital during the Battle of Franklin. The owners, John and Carrie McGavock designated two acres of land adjacent to their family cemetery as a final burial place for nearly 1,500 Confederate soldiers killed during the Battle of Franklin. 






This one makes me cry every time...




A book has been written about Carrie. "The Widow of the South"




I love visiting Carnton. If we happen to be in Frankin, there is no doubt that I want to at least drive by and say hello. It's interesting how strongly I feel about a place we just discovered a few years ago. From the moment I caught my first glimpse, I was smitten. I'm sure you can tell. ;) 

 Hope you enjoyed my little tour. Do you have a place that is extra special to you? 
I would love to hear about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are ever in Philadelphia PA, you MUST Visit Laurel Hill Cemetery. It will enchant you and blow your mind all at the same time.