Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy First Day of Fall!!!

I LOVE Fall! It begins the sweetest time of every year. I love pumpkin patches, corn mazes, candy corn, and all the sweet, yummy smells from my kitchen. For the first day of fall, I knew I wanted to bake with the kiddos and take treats to our wonderful church staff. Kellie at This Blessed Nest has a really fun Fall Festival going on right now and one day she posted a recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. I changed the recipe a bit so here is what I did. (My changes in italics.)


PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
Ingredients:
1 cup of all purpose flour and 2/3 whole wheat flour
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of pumpkin spice
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
mix all of the above into one bowl
2 large eggs
1 cup of pumpkin pie filling (believe it or not I couldn't find ANY plain pumpkin!)
1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup of milk chocolate chips
mix this part into another bowl
Then mix both bowls together and spoon into muffin pan.
Bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes



We are beginning the process of trying to eat clean, so I wanted to make these just a bit cleaner and they were extremely yummy! (Even with my tweeking. :) I made a regular cream cheese icing and added some pumpkin spice to jazz it up a bit. We used jars and decorated them like Kellie. Here was our process...









 

So basically... Muffin bottom, icing, muffin top, icing, and top with chopped pecans! YUM!!!
And here is how we decorated the jars...


Round off the corners...



Don't forget a spoon! :)


Then we put them all in a basket and headed to church to share our goodies!


My sweet Loo-la-bees... :)

We are so thankful for our sweet church staff! 


Happy First Day of Fall!





Photobucket






4 comments:

nest of posies said...

THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!!!

happy first day of FALL, indeed.

i love your tweaking to the recipe. you know, i had no idea of the shortage of pumpkin until a few weeks back when i saw all the tweets. i found mine at world market, fyi. but your filling & applesauce sounds wonderful.

do you have 4 kids??? my, you are my new inspiration...& you home school. amazing!

hey, i just saw the coolest link up to the fall festival for a science project for home school. (i think, anyways) it's the one with a leaf skeleton. it's the coolest thing. just passing it along.

thanks for linking & the shout out in your post. it's been so fun getting to know you!

have a great day tomorrow!
kellie

Anonymous said...

These look wonderful!! I never thought of putting chocolate chips with pumpkin! I just started Weight watchers a few weeks ago so Im on the "points" system. I made some pumpkin muffins over the weekend and they were SUPER moist and only 1 point per muffin. If you'd like to try the recipe it's only 4 ingredients and super easy and SUPER yummy!

Jen from ~ A day in the life of a brown eyed girl
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with foil wrappers. Spray wrappers with non-stick spray. Mix the 4 ingredients by hand and fill cups. Bake 18 minutes. (I sifted powdered sugar on top while they were cooling).

1 box of Betty Croker Angel Food Cake Mix.
1 (15 oz) canned Pumpkin.
3 teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice.
1 cup water.

Ambrosia said...

Cute idea! And they look super yummy!

I'm your newest follower from over at http://fortheluvofboys.blogspot.com

Jorgelina said...

Great post and idea!!
Look super yummy!